The USB 32-Bit Whacker is a small development board for the PIC32MX795 32-bit CPU from Microchip. The UBW32 is breadboard-friendly and includes all of the external circuitry needed to get the PIC32 up and running. Power can be provided over USB or from an external source. It has three pushbuttons (Reset and two user-defined buttons) and five LEDs (Power, USB, and three user-defined LEDs). All 78 of the PIC32's I/O pins are broken out. The board comes pre-loaded with a USB bootloader and special UBW firmware that accepts simple serial commands to control the various I/O functions.
If you have used a UBW or Arduino before and were frustrated by the lack of CPU power, lack of memory, lack of I/O pins, or lack of sophisticated software, the UBW32 is just what you are looking for. While only slightly more expensive than the 8-bit UBW, the UBW32 has significantly more I/O and CPU power.
The UBW32 is also a very good stand-alone development platform for the USB PIC32 chip. It contains a simple-to-use USB bootloader so that you can write your own code and download it to the board without any additional programmer, tools, or software. If you need low-level debugging, you can attach an ICD2/ICD3 or other PIC debugger.
The PIC32 chip is capable of doing USB OTG, USB Mass Store, USB Virtual COM Port and USB Host roles. There is a footprint on the bottom of the board for a USB connector that will allow you to plug any USB device into the UBW32. There is a jumper that allows you to power the VBUS 5V USB wire if you program your UBW32 to be a USB Host.
USB 32-Bit Whacker PIC32MX795 Board Features
- 78 usable I/O pins — all header holes on 0.1" grid
- 73 usable I/O pins available along edges, allowing easy breadboard mounting
- mini-USB connection — supplies power and full-speed USB connection to PC
- 3.3V power regulator
- 5V power regulator allows higher voltage (battery or other) power input
- Power Select switch allows selecting between USB and external power (acts as power-on switch)
- Ground, 3.3V and 5V pins available on both sides for vertical breadboard mounting
- Five LEDS — 1 for power, 4 under software control
- Three push buttons — 1 for reset, 2 for software use
- 0.1" Header and footprint (on bottom of board) for USB Host connector (A type) — with the right software, allows for USB Host functionality
- Minimal board size — very thin (0.28" high, 4.4" long, 1" wide) and two mounting holes
- Uses PIC32MX795 processor — 80 MHz, 512K Flash, 128K RAM, MIPS-based CPU core (free development tools from Microchip)
- Input protection fuse allows 500mA from the power supply
- External input power protected by diode
- HID-based bootloader allows for updating firmware without a hardware programmer — burn new firmware using only your PC (Mac, Windows or Linux)
- UBW32 Firmware supports controlling every digital I/O pin using USB serial port (see Firmware 1.4 documentation for exact command structure)
- Bootloader and UBW32 Firmware software projects available as examples for you to write your own code — make the UBW32 do anything you want
USB 32-Bit Whacker PIC32MX795 Board Resources
Optional Recommended Products for this Item