Compact Board for 28-pin Microchip PIC microcontrollers. It features an RS232 serial interface that is available via a standard 9-pin male D-Sub connector. The board ships completely assembled and tested. (The image to the right shows a PIC microcontroller installed, but one is not included. You may purchase compatible PICmicros using links provided below.)
PIC RS232 Board Features
- Compact Daughter Board connector and a Frontend connector for expansion capability. (The image to the right shows a version of the board without Frontend connector installed.)
- 22 I/O ports (when using common PIC chips like the PIC16F876A or PIC18F252)
- 28-pin DIP socket for PIC microcontroller
- 18.432 MHz Crystal
- Diode-protected 2.1mm power connector for standard DC transformer.
- Wide operating voltage range from 7 – 30V DC (7.5V or 9V DC supply recommended).
- RS232 transceiver chip with +/- 15kV ESD protection.
- Standard 9 pin, D-Sub male connector with RS232 signals, ground and external power. For connection to a PC you will need an RS232 Null Modem cable with RX/TX and RTS/CTS lines crossed. Such a Null Modem cable is offered as an add-on option at the bottom of this page
- Power LED to indicate when device is powered.
- In-Circuit Serial Programming (ICSP) Connector (ICPC1 type)
- 6-pin Micro-MaTch socket with Power, I2C and SPI signals. The Micro-MaTch connector can be used to daisy-chain multiple I2C devices together.
- The power pin on the 5-pin terminal block connector can be connected to the board's unregulated power supply (the input of the 2.1mm power connector) via a jumper. This can be used to obtain power for this board. When used, no power needs to be supplied via the 2.1mm power connector; it will obtain power via the D-Sub connector.
Supported PIC Microcontrollers
The board has been optimized for use with 28-pin PIC microcontrollers that have an integrated UART interface, for example:
- PIC18F242, PIC18F252, PIC18F248, PIC18F258
- PIC18F2320, PIC18F2410, PIC18F2680 (CAN BUS), PIC18F2550 (USB)
- PIC16F870, PIC16F873(A), PIC16F876(A)
- PIC16C63, PIC16C66, PIC16C73(A), PIC16F73, PIC16C76, PIC16F76
However, it can also be used with most other 28-pin DIP PIC chips, as long as their power, reset (MCLR) and oscillator pin locations are in the same position as with the chips listed above. If a 28-pin PIC without hardware UART is used, the UART function can be implemented optionally in software.
Build an Enclosed System Using the Compact Daughterboard connector, this RS232 board can be used as a control module for the Input-Output-Relay Board, which comes in a sturdy enclosure. You also can make a fully enclosed system by connecting this board to the Add-on Prototyping Board with 10 I/O Ports or the Add-on Prototyping Board with 24 I/O Ports, each of which comes in an enclosure.
Optional Daughterboards This board features connectors for either attaching a daughterboard, or using this board as a daughterboard on a larger add-on board. The Micro-MaTch connector allows you to use this board to drive one of the LCD2S- Serial LCD displays found in our LCD Displays category.
Optional In-Circuit Serial Programming (ICSP) Adapters
PIC ICSP Board Connector to DIL Adapter Set, In-Circuit Programming Adapter Set for connecting this PIC board's ICSP connector to out-of-circuit PIC chip programmers with a DIP/ZIF socket.
PIC ICSP Adapter, 6-pin Single Row to RJ12 and 2mm 2x4 Header, In-Circuit Programming Adapter for connecting this PIC board's ICSP connector to the debuggers programmers with RJ12 jack or single row square post headers.
Documentation and Software
This PIC board does not ship with any documentation or software. Please download the documentation from the link below.
Download PIC Board manual (PDF file, 496kB)
Optional Recommended Products for this Item
|PIC16F876A-I/SP Microcontroller, 28 DIP, 20 MHz||+|| US$5.69|
|PIC18F258-I/SP Microcontroller, 28 DIP, 40 MHz, CAN, 32k Flash||+|| US$7.83|
|PIC ICSP Adapter, 2.0mm 2x4 Header to K149 or K150||+|| US$10.25|
|PIC ICSP Adapter, 6-pin Single Row to RJ12 and 2mm 2x4 Header||+|| US$9.50|
|Power Supply 9V DC, 0.5A, 110V U.S. plug, pos. inner||+|| US$8.00|
|Power Supply 3-12V DC, U.S. plug, 6 connection tips||+|| US$11.00|
|Power Supply 3-12V DC, US/UK/Euro/AU Plugs, 100-240VAC||+|| US$13.00|
|Serial Null Modem Cable, 6ft., DB9 F/F||+|| US$7.00|
|Add-on: Prototype Board, 10-pin I/O, LEDs||+|| US$19.95|
|Add-on: Prototype Board, 24-pin I/O, LEDs||+|| US$22.60|
|Compact Daughter Board: CAN Bus w/ MCP2551 for SBC68EC, SBC28DC||+|| US$12.95|
|Compact Daughter Board: Prototyping Area for PIC Boards||+|| US$5.50|
|Compact Daughter Board: 4-digit LED Display for PIC Boards||+|| US$15.00|
|Front-End: 2x In, 2x Out, 2x Relay for PIC Boards||+|| US$18.00|
|Front-End: 4x In, 2x Relay for PIC Boards||+|| US$14.95|
|Front-End: Male 9-pin Sub-D Connector for PIC Boards||+|| US$8.90|
|Front-End: Compact Prototyping Area for PIC Boards||+|| US$4.00|