The 4D Programming Cable is a USB-to-Serial TTL UART converter cable. It incorporates the SiLabs CP2102 USB-to-Serial UART bridge IC which handles all the USB signaling and protocols. It is an essential hardware tool used for programming PmmC firmware files and 4DGL user code downloads into the GOLDELOX and PICASO processors embedded in many modules and displays we carry from 4D Systems. The cable's 5-pin female header (0.1"/2.54mm pitch) plugs directly into the 4D modules, providing TTL levels of 3.3V for RX and TX. The cable also provides +5V DC supply to power the target device. The cable is 1.8m in length and the circuitry is USB-powered (USB 2.0 compliant full speed @ 12Mbps), supporting data rates from 300bps to 1Mbps. The cable contains a small internal electronic circuit board, utilizing the CP2102 chip and special RESET circuitry, which is encapsulated into the USB connector at the end of the cable. The 5-pin header is labeled with the appropriate signal names: +5V, RX, TX, GND, RESET which match the programming headers on the 4D devices.
This cable is designed specifically to interface directly with all 4D Systems devices that use a 5-pin programming header. In any non-4D device application, make sure the TX and RX lines from the cable are crossed over to the attached peripheral, i.e., the TX from the cable connects to the RX of the target and the RX from the cable connects to the TX of the target. Note: The TX and RX signal levels are between 0.0 Volts and 3.3 Volts.
USB-to-Serial Cable Features
- Based on the CP2102 Bridge IC from Silicon Labs
- USB 2.0 compliant Full Speed 12Mbps maximum
- Hardware or Xon/Xoff handshaking supported; 300bps to 1Mbps
- UART supports 5-8 data bits, 1-2 Stop bits, odd/even/no parity
- Integrated EEPROM for Vendor ID, product ID, serial number, release number
- Virtual COM port drivers allow operation with existing COM port PC applications
- Supports Windows, Mac (OS X-9 and above) and Linux (2.4 kernel and above)
- USB powered
- Temperature range: −40 to +85 degrees C
- 1.8 meters in length (5.9 feet)
USB-to-Serial Cable Documentation and Software