The Bluetooth Mate Gold is designed specifically to be used with the Arduino Pro and LilyPad 328 Arduino Boards. These modems work as a serial (RX/TX) pipe, and are a great wireless replacement for serial cables. Any serial stream from 9600 to 115200 bps can be passed seamlessly from your computer to your target. These units have been tested successfully over open air at 350ft (106m).
Bluetooth Mate has the same pin out as the FTDI Basic USB-to-serial breakout board, and is meant to plug directly into an Arduino Pro, Pro Mini, or LilyPad Mainboard. Because the pins are arranged like this, you cannot plug the Bluetooth Mate directly to an FTDI Basic USB board (you'll have to swap TX and RX).
This unit ships with an RN-41 class 1 Bluetooth module, a very easy-to-use and well documented bluetooth module. Make sure you check out the datasheet and command set links below.
The Bluetooth Mate has on-board voltage regulators, so it can be powered from any 3.3 to 6VDC power supply. We've got level shifting all set up so the RX and TX pins on the remote unit are 3-6VDC tolerant. Do not attach this device directly to a serial port. You will need an RS232 to TTL converter circuit if you need to attach this to a computer.
Unit comes without a connector; if you want to connect it to an Arduino Pro, we'd suggest a 6-pin right-angle female header.
Arduino Bluetooth Mate Features
- Designed to work directly with Arduino Pro and LilyPad main boards
- FCC Approved Class 1 Bluetooth Radio Modem
- Very robust link both in integrity and transmission distance (100m) - no more buffer overruns!
- Low power consumption : 25mA avg
- Hardy frequency hopping scheme - operates in harsh RF environments like WiFi, 802.11g, and Zigbee
- Encrypted connection
- Frequency: 2.4~2.524 GHz
- Operating Voltage: 3.3V-6V
- Serial communications: 2400-115200 bps
- Operating Temperature: -40 ~ +70C
- Built-in antenna
Arduino Bluetooth Mate Dimensions:
Arduino Bluetooth Mate Documents