In Build Your Own Humanoid Robots, author Karl Williams presents an unique guide to sophisticated robotics projects and brings humanoid robot construction home to the hobbyist. The book provides step-by-step directions for six exciting projects, each costing less than $300. Together, they form the essential ingredients for making your own humanoid robot.
Also included is the background information regarding construction materials, test equipment, printed circuit board fabrication, microcontrollers, and programming and design considerations needed to create the humanoid robot projects.
Softcover, 211 pages
This book contains six projects:
- Robotic Arm, Wrist, and Hand. Build a versatile robotic arm system to give your humanoid the ability to manipulate objects. A PIC microcontroller provides motor control and feedback.
- Personal Computer Interface. Learn how to interface the robot arm or any other robotics project to a personal computer for complete control and feedback.
- Visual Basic Control Software. Develop flexible bidirectional communications software to control the robot arm or other projects from your personal computer.
- Voice Recognition Control. Make your robotic arm and walking robot obey your spoken commands with this completely embedded control system that can also be used for many other applications.
- Expressive, Speaking Face. Enable your robot to show happiness, surprise, excitement, anger, and more, as it speaks any words you transmit electronically.
- Bipedal Walking Robot. It's your own amazing small scale, fully autonomous robot! Learn about sensors, analog-to-digital converters, DC motor control, microcontrollers, feedback, and control systems.
- Chapter 1: Tools, Test Equipment, and Materials
- Chapter 2: Printed Circuit Board Fabrication
- Chapter 3: Microcontrollers and PIC Programming
- Chapter 4: Humanoid Robotics Design Considerations
- Chapter 5: Build Your Own Robot Arm, Gripper, and Serial Servo Controller
- Chapter 6: Visual Basic 6 Robot Interface Software
- Chapter 7: Speech Recognition
- Chapter 8: Build Your Own Humanoid Head
- Chapter 9: Build Your Own Bipedal Walking Robot